Fat At 50: What Happened?
Fat At 50:What happened?
Do you stop and sometimes ask yourself questions such as
- “Why do I look like I am 6 months pregnant?” or
- “What is this extra layer of skin under my chin?” or
- “Didn’t I use to be able to wear those jeans?” or
- “Why do my thighs look like cottage cheese?”
Well if you are asking yourself these questions, that middle age “fat bug” has probably bitten you.
As we age, there is a decrease in our physical abilities and our muscle mass naturally diminishes. When the lean muscle we lose is not replaced, our bodies shift to more fat and less muscle thus decreasing our metabolism and increasing our weight.
For middle age women, the hormonal changes of menopause may make it more likely for weight gain around the abdomen.
In addition to these changes, many of us also tend to eat more calories. The good news is that there is still hope to tackle the fat bug. Here are some of the strategies.
Strategies for fighting the “fat bug”.
- Strength training to build muscle.
- Cardio exercises such as walking, jogging, swimming to maintain muscle mass
- Watch what you eat. Eat more whole grains, fruits and vegetables and practice portion control.
- Don’t be discouraged. Understand that as we age it takes longer to loose the weight.
Please share your thoughts on strategies that you are using to fight the “fat bug”.